A one day primer on international legal skills for the international practitioner with clients from Mexico or doing business in Mexico
Schedule of Events
Welcome Remarks and Signing of Friendship Agreement with ANADE
- Jose Juan Mendez, President, ANADE, Mexico
- Elizabeth Foster, Chair, International Law Section Partner, Dentons, US LLP, Los Angeles
- Lizbeth Flores, International Law Section Executive Committee Member, LHF Law, San Diego
|8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
This panel will review recent changes to IP laws in Mexico, recent treaty modifications and the effect of accession to the Madrid Protocol in Mexico. Practical tips in enforcing patent, trademark and other IP rights in Mexico and tips for Mexico rights holders in the U.S. will be offered.
Moderator: Anne Hiaring Hocking, Hiaring + Smith, LLP, San Rafael
- Jose Juan Mendez (Mendez + Cortez, S.C.) President of ANADE, Mexico
- Noel Gillespie, Partner, Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch LLP, San Diego
- Michael G. Lewis, First Secretary for Intellectual Property, Regional IPR Attaché for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean United States Embassy Mexico City
|8:45 a.m. - 10 a.m.
|10 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
The speakers will review recent changes in Mexican customs regulations, export controls and Free Trade Agreement regimes. The speakers will also discuss the impact of the recent changes on Mexican export and import compliance processes and strategies.
- Karla Haynes, Export/Import Compliance Counsel Chevron Corporation, San Ramon
- Armando Beteta, Executive Director Ernst & Young Global Trade/Latin America Business Center
|10:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
|11:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
FCPA / Anti-Money Laundering
Legal compliance with FCPA and Anti-Money Laundering laws, applicable when doing business between Mexico and the U.S. Issues to take into account and how to deal with practical situations to prevent liabilities to your clients.
Moderator: Alejandro Suarez, Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch LLP, San Diego
- Andria Bouskos, Associate Corporate Counsel Symantec Corporation
- Fernando Cervantes Guajardo, Partner Cervantes-Quijano, S.C. Tijuana
- Mark Danis, Morrison and Foerster, San Francisco
|11:45 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Lunch and Keynote Speaker
Keynote Speaker: Michael G. Lewis, First Secretary for Intellectual Property, Regional IPR Attaché for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, United States Embassy, Mexico City
|1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
International Tax Planning for a Mexican Subsidiary
This panel will analyze discuss different international tax planning structures for establishing a Mexican subsidiary of a California based company. The panel will also focus on how certain provisions of the recent Mexican tax reform may affect current operating structures and potential restructuring alternatives.
Moderator: Enrique Hernandez-Pulido, Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch LLP, San Diego
- Pedro Corona, Esq. Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch LLP, San Diego
- Daniel Cano, CPA, Partner, Gossler Crowe Horwarth, Mexico
|2:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
|3:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
California-Mexico Cross-Border Litigation and Arbitration
This panel will discuss what California lawyers should know about how litigation and arbitration work in Mexico and resolving Mexico-California cross border disputes. Areas will include dispute resolution provisions for cross-border agreements and enforcement of judgments.
- Jeffery Daar, Daar & Newman, Los Angeles
- Roberto Vega Treviño, Guerra Gonzalez y Asociados S.C. Baja California
|3:45 p.m. - 5 p.m.
|5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Program Planning Committee
- Enrique Hernandez-Pulido, Co-chair
Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch LLP
San Diego, CA
- Anne Hiaring Hocking, Co-chair
Hiaring + Smith, LLP
San Rafael, CA
- Jeffery J. Daar
Daar & Newman
Los Angeles, CA
- Lizbeth Flores
San Diego, CA
- Karla L Haynes
San Ramon, CA
For your convenience, we have provided a printable version of the program brochure that replicates the information on this webpage.
You can now REGISTER ONLINE for this program.
Register by Mail or Fax
Print out and complete the Mail / Fax Reg. Form and return it with payment to The State Bar of California. Make checks payable to The State Bar of California.
The State Bar of California
180 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
By Fax: 415-538-2368. In order to fax your registration, credit card information is MANDATORY. (Photocopies of checks will NOT be accepted.)
The deadline to pre-register is May 30, 2014
Pre-Registration Fees (due by May 30, 2014)
- $155 International Law Section Members
- $250 Non-Section Members
(Includes enrollment in the International Law Section for 2014)
- $50 Student
Onsite registration fee is $250. On-site registration is subject to availability. Call to confirm space availability.
Requests must be received in writing by May 30, 2014. A $25 processing fee will be charged. No refunds after May 30, 2014.
For registration information call (415) 538-2508. For information regarding the program call (415) 538-2380.
The State Bar of California and the International Law Section are State Bar of California approved MCLE Providers.